Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recycling & Getting Green


Sure, recycling is great for the planet, but in some cases it can put cash in your pocket, too. Who doesn't like getting paid to go green?

Gazelle.com pays cash for your used electronics, then recycles it. In fact, if for some reason your old electronics are so old and useless that they can't make you a cash offer, they'll still accept and recycle it for you. You'd be hard pressed to find electronics so outdated they offered you nothing, though. I recycled a 1996 laptop through them last year, and the hardest part was lugging the thing to the UPS store to ship it. I guessed the wrong processor when I gave them the information, so they did lower their offer when they received it. It was my mistake, and I had the option of declining the new offer, in which case they would have shipped it back to me. However, I was perfectly happy to accept "only" $ 103 for my ancient hardware. I just wish I had more stuff to send them!

PaperbackSwap.com is another useful site, especially for an avid reader like me. At PaperbackSwap, you send in used books and earn credit with them. Then you can use that credit to pick up books others have sent in. It's sort of a combination of a public library and Netflix, but for books. In spite of the name, they offer more than just paperbacks. Many people have been able to find books on this site that they couldn't locate anywhere else, and my book club can always find enough copies of our monthly read for everyone. Before one move a few years ago, my family donated 6 cases of brand-new hardbound books to the local library. While I'm all for supporting your local library, just think of how many new books we could have read if we'd used PaperbackSwap instead!

So dust off those old electronics and raid your bookshelves. Recycle your used electronics and books and enjoy the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment