Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ongoing Observations on the Coupon Trail

For all intents and purposes, it's been about a month since I decided to be a Coupon Shark in 2011. During that time, I've done some reading & research, tried my hand at the Grocery Game, and kept you updated on my overall progress. I'm a numbers nerd, so I've provided concrete dollar amounts or percentages when I can, since that's what I look for when I'm reading a blog or article for information. Today, however, I thought I'd offer some more generalized observations I've made since starting this little experiment.

One of the first things I've noticed is that couponing is much less work that I thought it would be, or than I made it in the past. Maybe I didn't do enough homework in the past, or maybe retailers and consumers have simplified the system over the years, or maybe the savings are simply worth more to me these days, but I remember it being a lot harder than it is. Or maybe I'm just welcoming the distraction from 2 straight weeks of rain with a sick preschooler! In any case, I thought it would be more time and effort than it is. I have 2 copies of my local newspaper delivered, so the coupons come to me. I've chosen to continue my subscription to The Grocery Game.com site for now, since it's the easiest for me to use (more on that another time!).  Although the grocery store and drugstore specials come out on different days of the week, the Sunday coupons only come out once, so I limit my planning and shopping to one day a week, Sunday or Monday. I hit the drug store first, because it has a fee-free ATM where I can get cash for my envelopes (a' la Dave Ramsey). Even if it's a bi-week and I don't need the ATM, the stuff I buy at the drugstore is never perishable anyway. After the drugstore, I head off to the grocery store. If I hustle, I can get all my shopping done before the game starts on Sunday afternoon. If I have the kids, well, that takes longer, but I try to think of it as a hands-on math lesson. The rest of the week, I don't worry about shopping at all.

I've also noticed that at first, I ate more because there was more food around. Don't laugh! I read about it and laughed myself, but then I realized I did it, too! I think it's called an Abundance Mentality, during which you consume more (of both food and non-food products) simply because they're there. I've since learned to choose my pantry items carefully, put them away promptly, and keep everything I'm not using out of sight (and out of mind). Meal planning helps, as does keeping my personal drugstore (a.k.a. household stockpile) in a harder-to-reach closet. After all, how often do you need to grab a new tube of toothpaste?

Finally, my vision has changed. Sadly, my eyesight is still somewhat lame (20/30 at best), but I now have savings-vision. People who knew me as a teenager will never believe it, but when I became a mom, I got germ-vision, and ever since, I've kept a far cleaner home. Well, it's the same with savings-vision. I cringe at full-price anything, and see discounts and coupons everywhere. For example, in our house, we love Mr. Bubble bubble bath, but it's hard to find and never on sale. But last time I found it, I noticed a cardboard tag on the next bottle back. My savings-vision had seen a rebate coupon on a bottom-shelf, behind the product I was buying. When you consider that I don't bend over well these days, and I had both kids with me, that's pretty good coupon-radar! The rebate was good for a free bottle of Mr. Bubble, so for some bending and a stamp, I saved 50% on a product my family loves and is rarely on sale. That was great, but I've also considered buying by the case, perhaps, or getting it at 30% savings with the AmazonMom Subscribe & Save programs. In any case, I won't pay full price for it.

For the next few weeks, I'll be working on honing my savings skills and filling my freezer for when my next kiddo arrives. I'll be trying to stock up on some specific items, which is harder than simply working the sales, so that I don't have to run out for toilet paper or frozen pizza any time soon. If I do, though, you know I'll bring a coupon!

No comments:

Post a Comment