Saturday, June 20, 2009

Doggie Daycare


I used to think that doggie daycare was just for yuppie puppies in urban high-rise condos. That was before we adopted Orion. He's 100+ pounds of love. And neediness. And separation anxiety. Orion was abandoned as a young dog, and there's no way to tell how long he was alone before being brought to the Humane Society. The wonderful people at the shelter here gave him food and love and after about two months with them, Orion found a home with us. We love him, and we try to work around his issues as much as we can. The problem is that he cannot be left alone. Ever. We can't kennel or crate him, or he rubs his nose and paws raw trying to find us. We hope with time and training he will learn to trust that we'll never leave him, but right now, he's simply too scared of being abandoned again to leave him at all.

I realize most people reading this are probably thinking, "Oh for Pete's sake! He's a dog. Let him bark or cry, eventually he'll get used to it." Worse, I've had people tell me to my face, "Forget that! I would have just returned him by now!". That mentality always ticks me off, since it was selfish people who made him neurotic in the first place! We're just trying to make up for the mistakes of others, since neither Orion, nor any other dog (or animal, for that matter), ever deserves to be mistreated, neglected, abandoned or abused. Even if you don't agree with me, or perhaps especially if you don't, but you have a pet, please keep reading.

We found a solution in a local doggie daycare. Play N Stay lets us drop off Orion any day of the week. We bought a package of 20 days, so each day only costs us $9. He has constant companionship, a small pack of friends he plays with once a week, and humans we trust to watch over him. This daycare and boarding facility is part of a pet complex run by a vet, so in case of an emergency, Orion would get immediate medical care. It is also a regular sponsor of the local Humane Society where we got Orion, and some of the employees work at both places. They know about his individual needs and have worked with us week after week to make Orion more relaxed and happy with us and with them.

Each Thursday, Orion can't wait to go to his "puppy playdate", and I can run all my errands or go on outings I couldn't do with the dog. I've noticed that I get more done and spend less money when I plan ahead for my Thursday shopping. In fact, I'm usually so organized that I can do several weeks worth of errands in the one day, and enjoy the next few Thursdays at the beach or the bookstore or anywhere else I want to go. This time apart is an important part of Orion's therapy, learning that we'll always come back for him. It's also some breathing space for me, as if my toddler was at Grandma's for a few hours. The socialization he gains playing with other dogs helps boost his confidence, and he simply loves it. To be honest, he's socializing us, too, since we've met some wonderful people because of Orion. If we ever do leave Orion for a few days, we know he'll be safe and happy with people he loves in a familiar environment.

No matter where you live, or what you've heard about doggie daycare in the past, I encourage you to consider if it's a resource that could improve the quality of your life and your dog's. Most people aren't dealing with the severe emotional challenges we see in Orion, but as you can see, there are lots of benefits to finding good canine care, both for the dogs and their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment