Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hurry Up & Wait

My first week of trying to (finally, in earnest) learn how to coupon was fairly successful. I've got a long way to go, of course, but I saved some money and there's still some food in the house, so I figure that's a win-win. This week will be more challenging. My DH, who actually makes the money, is a spender, not a saver, so I have to get to the money before him. The schools are closed 2 days this week, so I'll have extra snacks and entertainment to provide. The actual list of "needs" is longer than last week because I'm so new to "stockpiling" and my original stash of things like coffee and cat food have run out - and man, the cats are mean without their coffee!

So here I am, on Saturday night, tweaking my budget (which sounds naughty but isn't) and waiting impatiently for this week's Sunday coupons to come out. I'm hopeful that my newspaper subscription will finally kick in so I don't have to make a special trip for one. It's usually just me, looking like a total scrub, and the church ladies at the corner store on Sunday mornings. It's pretty clear they have more important plans than I do, so I always let them go ahead of me, and somehow it takes me 45 minutes to pick up the paper. I'm also optimistic that I'll get up early and actually shop tomorrow instead of Monday. Last week it took me all day to figure out the "system", make my list, find the coupons, etc... Then on Monday it poured, so my daughter & I were soaked to the bone between each store. Actually, one of us has a pink tie-dye slicker, so she was fine - I was the only one dripping wet. That might explain this horrific cough I can't shake, and that cough might lead to me kicking the church ladies out of the way tomorrow morning.


Anyway, I know how much money I have to spend, I know what needs to be done. All I need now is that damn list of weekly specials and coupons. Grrrr! Who would of thought that in one week I'd turn into a coupon-monster?

2 comments:

  1. If you have to buy a paper check out the bottom of the newspaper box - sometimes old inserts are stuffed in there. YOu can stick your arm down in there and pull out a bunch of inserts - free coupons!! Yes, I almost got my arm stuck once. I had visions of my children calling 911 and my husband showing up on the firetruck only to realize in horror that they were about to have extract his own wife. Fortunately I was able to push aside a bit of arm fat to free myself. You have no arm fat, so digging them out won't be a problem. And my excitement about the multiple coupon inserts more than made up for my momentary panic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly less risky (but not nearly as exciting)... I DID get my first home delivery paper on Sunday, and it included an offer to add a second paper for just $.99/week. There's some fine print about "transportation costs" I need to look into, but I understand that emergency services can be pricey, too :D

    ReplyDelete