Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Insomnia Cures You Can Use Tonight



"You have a toddler - of course you're not sleeping much. Here, have an anti-depressant. It will help you relax."

That's what one physician told me when I asked about my chronic insomnia years ago. If you're thinking that was a stupid response, you can guess what I was thinking! I've had insomnia as long as I can remember, throughout my life starting in childhood. My toddler was sleeping through the night perfectly well, and I wasn't depressed. It was exactly responses like that from the general medical community that kept me from even mentioning it to a doctor before. Since then, however, I've sought alternative solutions to help me sleep for several reasons. One reason is that the older I get, the more I need my beauty sleep. But the more serious reason is that I've since learned that many sleep disorders are genetic. My mum has never slept well, and now I'm watching my kids struggle some nights. I found myself looking for ways to help not just myself, but three generations of lousy sleepers.

How to Save Money on Sleep Aids
The link above details a number of non-prescription ways to improve your sleep. I think the holistic path is the preferred first option for most people. It's less severe and often less expensive than medical care. Discussed in the article are your environment and personal attitude toward rest, but be sure to check out the "related articles" section on the right for links to more useful information.


If you find yourself in need of medical help to get the sleep you need, the following article regarding talking to your doctor about a prescription may help you avoid the miscommunication I had with my doctor years ago. For many people, especially busy women, it's very hard to make our demands or needs clear. If that other person is an authority figure, like a doctor, it can be even more challenging, but it's vital that you're able to express yourself and get the true care you need.
How to Talk to a Doctor About a Prescription

Each person has a certain set of ideal conditions for quality sleep, so keep trying new options until you find the perfect combination for you. You don't just need sleep to function well and maintain your health, you deserve a good night's sleep. Sleep is when we relax and dream. No matter what other demands you face throughout your day, everyone deserves the chance to dream.

Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment