Monday, May 11, 2009

Painless Planning


Planning comes naturally to me. I'm very organized. Okay, maybe I'm more of a control freak. Either way, planning, as I said, is a very natural process for me. Long before I settled on a time management system, my "to-do" lists were in neat outlined form, complete with Roman numerals and color coding. Now that I'm at home full time, I continue to use the same time management system I chose when I was working full time, B.C. (before children), even though the appointments and tasks are worlds apart. I begin each day by prioritizing my tasks and planning the rest of my day. I'm a pretty laid-back mom, but in order for me to have time to goof off with my kids, I need that daily structure.

Now my husband is not a natural planner. In fact, even when he does try to plan it's hard to follow through because his handwriting is so bad. We call it Jockimoglyphics. This spring, after over a decade of seeing my planner out on the breakfast bar every morning, he finally learned the technique himself. I've been very careful to keep my mouth shut and let him follow through on his own. Well, most of the time I keep quiet. Sometimes, though, I can't help nagging him. I mean, it's ...right... there! For followers of Dave Ramsey, I'm the Nerd, and he's the Free Spirit. When it comes to anything administrative, even if it's for his own convenience, he just can't stand it. And I can't stand to be without it.

So how do we bridge the gap? How do we plan together, so that we're on the same page, supporting each other's big goals and small projects, and not drive either of us mad? We do our weekly planning on Sunday afternoon. Yesterday it was gorgeous outside, so we brought our planners, the kids, the dog and a bottle of wine out on the back porch. Did it take a little longer than if we'd simply stood at the kitchen counter and cross-checked appointments? Sure. But we had a relaxed, pleasant afternoon, and we were able to discuss beyond the week's appointments. We talked about long-term goals and short-term challenges, and helped each other come up with solutions. I got my plan in stone and he got his leisurely afternoon.

Of course, it wasn't just that it was a lovely day, so this week's planning session was easier than most. The point is that we chose the best environment for the task. Maybe you don't have a yard, or a spouse. How about doing your planning at a coffee shop with great acoustic music? A small part of me permanently stuck in the 80s sometimes thrives in my SUV with rock blaring, too. Just make sure you're not driving and writing at the same time. The best setting will vary from person to person, and week to week. Experiment. Be creative. Invite a friend or two to join you and help each other find new solutions to nagging problems. Take a few moments to consider a favorite place or two you could do your own planning. Not only will your planning sessions be painless, they may well be more productive too.

No comments:

Post a Comment